Penalty: First Conviction
- If a person is convicted of a first violation of Section 23152, that person shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 96 hours, at least 48 hours of which shall be continuous, nor more than six months, and by a fine of not less than three hundred ninety dollars ($390), nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000).
- The court shall order that a person punished under subdivision (a), who is to be punished by imprisonment in the county jail, be imprisoned on days other than days of regular employment of the person, as determined by the court. If the court determines that 48 hours of continuous imprisonment would interfere with the person’s work schedule, the court shall allow the person to serve the imprisonment whenever the person is normally scheduled for time off from work. The court may make this determination based upon a representation from the defendant’s attorney or upon an affidavit or testimony from the defendant.
- The person’s privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the department under paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 13352. The court shall require the person to surrender the driver’s license to the court in accordance with Section 13550.
- Whenever, when considering the circumstances taken as a whole, the court determines that the person punished under this section would present a traffic safety or public safety risk if authorized to operate a motor vehicle during the period of suspension imposed under paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 13352, the court may disallow the issuance of a restricted driver’s license required under Section 13352.4.
- This section shall become operative on September 20, 2005.
Amended Sec. 11, Ch. 756, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999. Operative July 1, 1999. Supersedes Ch. 118.
Amended and renumbered from 23160 Sec. 19, Ch. 22, Stats. 1999. Effective May 26, 1999. Operative July 1, 1999.
Amended Sec. 19, Ch. 545, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.
Amended Sec. 15, Ch. 551, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005. Operative September 20, 2005.